1/24/2005

Abu who?

from NYT:

...a not-so-funny thing happened to the Graner case on its way to trial. Since the early bombshells from Abu Ghraib last year, the torture story has all but vanished from television, even as there have been continued revelations in the major newspapers and magazines like The New Yorker, The New York Review of Books and Vanity Fair. If a story isn't on TV in America, it doesn't exist in our culture.

To all Americans who "tune out" and otherwise ignore or dismiss reports of abuses and atrocities committed by our forces overseas and our government here at home, I say this: These things are being done in your name... and mine. If we do not voice our outrage there will be no refuge from accountability.

I recall a visit to Germany as a child with my parents in which my mother (who is Jewish) felt threatened by her daily interactions with average Germans. In her mind, they were all killers - complicit and willing participants in her childhood nightmares. As much as the average German of today protests that these unspeakable acts were committed by a few evil men, I cannot help but see my mother's fearful glances at those men in their Bavarian hats with the little feathers whom I found so quaint and cheerful.

The time will come when an average American in a baseball cap, perhaps you or I, will be the receptacle of blame and outrage for what is happening today, in our name. For this, we will have our government to thank.

Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home